I know what you are thinking. The sun is out, not a cloud in sight and I don't even want to think about rain. Well I am here to tell you that the best time to prepare for a disaster is long before it happens. Here are some tips from Hagerty on how to prep your garage to weather the storm.
- For starters, it’s a good idea to make sure your garage is in good shape.
- Store rakes, shovels and other hanging tools in cabinets and secure them with hooks. If cabinets aren’t feasible, secure tools to their wall hooks with small bungee cords or rubber straps.
- Cover your car when it’s being stored to help protect it from flying debris.
- If you store your car elevated, be sure to support it on sturdy jack stands under the suspension, which should always be under tension. Never use concrete or cinder blocks.
- For long-term storage, always disconnect the battery. Also, if you know a storm is coming, be sure to pick up from the ground any battery tenders and extension cords to keep them out of floodwaters.
- Secure heavy objects, such as drills or toolboxes and appliances, with safety straps.
- Install safety latches (like childproof ones) in cabinet doors and drawers to prevent them from opening and spilling their contents.
- Fasten ceiling lights and other hanging equipment to supports by using safety cables.
- For framed pictures, car signs and neon signs, use long-shanked, open-eye hooks and picture wire to fasten them to walls. Make sure the hooks are anchored into the walls with studs. You can also try closed-eye hooks and securely screw them into the back of the frame.
- Install flexible gas lines and automatic gas shutoff valves (if your garage is heated).
- Keep a multipurpose, dry-chemical fire extinguisher in your garage. Even if disaster never strikes, following these tips may contribute to a garage that has less clutter and an environment in which your classic car is generally safer.
And last but not least call your agent to make sure you have the proper insurance coverage in place should all your preperation not be enough prevent a loss to your car.
Don't have an agent? Call us at 1-978-352-8000 or email info [at] georgetowninsurance [dot] com we'd love to help you!