Skip to content Accessibility info

Georgetown Insurance Agency Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

Carbon Monoxide Safety

Groundhog Day has come and Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow and predicts six more weeks of bad weather. I think he may be correct with his prediction! I have had enough of this cold, wet, snowy weather!  And believe it or not looks like Massachusetts will be getting even more snow this coming Sunday into Monday.  So I thought it was important to talk about Carbon Monoxide Safety.  With the snow already so high and with more snow on the way it is so important to make sure your house vents (vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace) are dug out and can properly vent.  Same goes for your car, be sure to dig out your exhaust pipes before you start your car to warm it up. 

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent, deadly killer claiming about 1,000 lives each year in the United States. Such common items as automotive exhaust, home heating systems and obstructed chimneys can produce the colorless, odorless gas. The gas can also be produced by poorly vented generators, kerosene heaters, gas grills and other items used for cooking and heating when used improperly during the winter months.

  • NEVER run generators indoors. Open a window slightly when using a kerosene heater.
  • NEVER use charcoal to cook indoors.
  • NEVER use a gas oven to heat your home.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include sleepiness, headaches and dizziness. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, ventilate the area and get to a hospital. Click here to view the NFPA's Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips.

Enjoy the snow, stay warm and most importantly stay safe!! 

Photo courtesy of


There are no comments yet.

Leave a Comment

Required fields are marked with


Your name, comment, and URL will appear on this page after it has been reviewed and approved. Your email address will not be published.