Skip to content

Georgetown Insurance Agency Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

Save yourself a trip to the MA Registry

Did you know most transactions can now be done online with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles? Some of the Top Online Services that the registry now offers are things like Registration Renewals, Drivers License Renewal, Change of Address, Canceling of your Plate/Registration and many more. Check out the Online Services page on the registry website by clicking here. You can also pay a Citation right on the website as well.

A question I am asked often is to remove a vehicle from an insurance policy because the vehicle has been sold or taken off the road. In order to remove a vehicle from a insurance policy in MA you must first turn in your plates/cancel the registration with the registry. I always advise our customers to try and turn the plates in online instead of going to the registry or paying a runner fee. The online process is FREE and fairly simple. What you will need is your MA registration number, drivers license number and a email address. Once you follow all the prompts and the plates are canceled be sure to print out your Plate Return Receipt and call your insurance agent to advise them the plates have been canceled and to remove the vehicle from the insurance policy.

You will want to keep a copy of the Plate Return Receipt and submit that form to your city or town Assessor’s office for a refund on your MA excise tax.

Abatements may be granted if you do any of the following during the same calendar year:

(1) transfer ownership of the vehicle (sold or traded)

(2) move out of Massachusetts or moved from billing city/town

(3) re-register the vehicle

(4) report the theft of the vehicle

(5) total loss

(6) vehicle junked

(7) vehicle returned (Lemon Law)

A Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Abatement Application will need to be completed and submitted to your city or towns Assessor's office to be reviewed for a refund. Keep in mind if you sell your vehicle you will need to make a copy of the signed title or Bill of Sale. This proof is required along with the plate return receipt from the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) and must be submitted along with the Abatement Application. I personally learned this information the hard way and did not make a copy of the front and back of the title when we recently sold our I know!


There are no comments yet.

Leave a Comment

Required fields are marked with


Your name, comment, and URL will appear on this page after it has been reviewed and approved. Your email address will not be published.