Why wait for the warm weather to enjoy the great outdoors? Many people tend to “hibernate” and spend a majority of the cold weather months spent inside. There are many health and mental benefits to getting fresh air and sunshine (whether it’s smack in the middle of summer or on a cold February afternoon!) Break the ‘not-leaving-unless-absolutely-necessary-‘cycle this year with some seasonal activities that help you get out more!
- Go Ice Skating – find a local ice rink, pond or lake (just make sure it’s entirely frozen and safe first).
- Snowshoeing- a great, low-impact form of exercise that requires no special skills or training!
- Camp - With the right gear and proper preparation it’s a totally new way to experience camping in the wilderness.
- Play In Your Own Backyard – remember making snow angels? How about a really cool fort to throw snowballs from? Use snow to make snow people or cool animal sculptures. Try making “spray paint” with food coloring and water to paint your creations!
- Go Fishin’- Ice fishing is a great way to spend time outside. Invite friends and turn it into a yearly tradition. Again, make sure the ice is totally frozen before drilling a hole and inserting your line.
- Take Photos- A small walk, or hike, can turn into a wonderful opportunity to capture beautiful winter images.
- Shovel for Someone in Need- Combine a good act with some actual exercise and you get a win-win situation. Don’t exert yourself too much though, shoveling raises your heart rate and blood pressure more than other forms of exercise.
- Wildlife Treats- Using a needle and thread string popcorn or cereal to drape garland outside on trees and watch wildlife nibble on the snacks. Or, have fun making your own bird seed ornaments!
- Ski, Sled, Or Snowboard-Propelling yourself down a snow packed mountain is a MUST in the winter. With so many local options you can make a day, or whole week, out of it!
- Snowmobile- Fun, fast and perfect for winter, snowmobiling is an exhilarating way to get around. Did you know that snowmobiles require insurance if not used on your personal property? Call us today if you need to get your favorite winter “toy” insured this year!
Now more than ever it is so important to breathe the fresh air and surround yourself with the beauty of nature. With the right cold weather gear and attitude, the winter season can be an exhilarating experience that gives an all-new perspective on the ‘great-outdoors!’